Important Field Trip Information
About The Field Trip: FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake offers Lakeside Learning field trips in August, September, October, April, May, and June. Lakeside Learning takes place outdoors at Antelope Island State Park. The field trip experience lasts approximately 2.5 hours. The trip includes wetlands exploration/discussion, bird watching, and wading in Great Salt Lake (weather permitting). Your students will get their hands dirty and their feet wet!
Who May Participate: Lakeside Learning field trips are open to fourth grade students in public, charter, private, and home school groups. DUE TO THE HIGH DEMAND FOR THIS PROGRAM, WE WILL NOT CONSIDER TRIPS FOR GRADE LEVELS OTHER THAN FOURTH GRADE. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT AN APPLICATION OR RESERVE DATES FOR GRADE LEVELS OTHER THAN FOURTH GRADE. Group size is limited to 75 students per field trip. If you have more than 75 students, we will need to break your trip up into two separate field trips.
Costs: FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake will cover the cost of admission to Antelope Island State Park for all field trip participants. We do not charge an instructional fee for public schools, so these trips are completely free. Private and homeschool groups are charged a flat instructional fee based on student totals ($50 per trip if bringing 30 students or less, or $100 per trip if bringing 31-75 students).
Transportation Grants: Public schools are eligible to receive a $150 grant towards the costs of bus transportation for each field trip. Please indicate on the form below if you wish to receive these funds. We regret that we are unable to offer transportation grants to private schools and homeschool groups at this time.
Please complete the form below and note the following:
- We require one completed application form per field trip. Each teacher who will be bringing students on that field trip must sign the application form.
- For schools that have more than 75 fourth-grade students, we will need to arrange 2 field trip days. Please complete 2 forms in total (one form for each field trip day).
- We have a limited number of field trip slots available and will fill them in the order in which applications are received. Be sure to complete all 3 pages of this application form, including the required signatures. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Completed applications may be submitted electronically (to email@example.com) or via mail (to FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake, PO Box 2655, Salt Lake City, UT 84110). We will notify you when your completed application has been received.
Contact Sarah Radcliff at firstname.lastname@example.org or 801-682-0621 with any questions or concerns.
Complete School Mailing Address (*)
Primary Teacher Contact(*)
Home/Cell Phone Number(*)
Names of Other Teachers/Classes Attending The Same Field Trip
Approximate Number of Students Attending This Field Trip(*)
Do you have any students with special needs affecting their mobility or ability to see, hear, follow basic instructions, or otherwise participate safely in this outdoor field trip?(*)
Please help us to understand our reach by providing us with the following information regarding demographics:
Number of Male Students (optional)
Number of Female Students (Optional)
Number of Under Represented Minority Students (Optional)
Your Preferred Field Trip Dates (we will make every effort to accommodate your request):
Departure Plans: Our field trips typically last 2.5 hours. If you have any special scheduling needs (for instance, if you need a shorter trip), please explain them here:(*)
Transportation Grants (for public schools only – not applicable for private or homeschools). (Please note: Transportation grant funds are given after the field trip takes place)
Would you like us to send your school $150 to offset the costs of bus transportation for this trip? (*)
SPECIAL REQUESTS OR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Is there anything else you would like us to know about your field trip needs? Or, do you have questions? If so, please include them here:
REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following items are the responsibility of the participating school and teachers.
Advance planning for the field trip:
- Submit a completed, signed application form to FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake.
- Work with FRIENDS to coordinate scheduling details.
- Make necessary bus transportation arrangements.
- Acquire parent/guardian permission documentation.
- Provide adequate teacher and parent chaperones to ensure there is at least one adult for every 10 children.
15 days before the field trip:
- Notify FRIENDS of your final head count (students and adults).
- Notify FRIENDS if you are canceling. (Schools that cancel with less than 15 days’ notice will be charged a $25 cancelation fee. There is no fee if the cancelation is weather-related.)
Day of the field trip:
- Ensure that students are prepared with proper clothing (we will be outside the entire time). Students need adequate footwear (we will be walking over uneven terrain, and students may also wish to bring water shoes for wading), a towel, water, snacks/lunch, and sun protection. The lake can be buggy in spring; we recommend students wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Provide nametags for students, teachers, and parent chaperones.
- Supply a school first aid kit.
- Notify FRIENDS if you are running late (or early) and will not be at Antelope Island State Park at the agreed-upon arrival time.
- Assume responsibility for your students’ behavior and for their treatment of FRIENDS’ equipment. If FRIENDS’ equipment is deliberately broken or is stolen by a member of your group, your school will be responsible for replacement costs.
Your signature below indicates your agreement to the requirements and responsibilities listed above.
Electronic Signature (your name)(*)
Thank you for your interest in a FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake Lakeside Learning field trip.
We will contact you as soon as possible regarding the status of your application. Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.