This field trip program is sponsored by Cargill Salt! Thank you for investing in your local community and Great Salt Lake.
Important Field Trip Information
About The Field Trip: FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake offers Lakeside Learning field trips for the Tooele school district in August, September, October, April, May, and June. The field trips take place outdoors at Great Salt Lake State Park and Marina. The field trip experience lasts approximately 2.5 hours. The trip includes wetlands exploration/discussion, bird watching, and wading in Great Salt Lake (weather permitting). Your students will get their hands dirty and their feet wet!
Who May Participate: Lakeside Learning field trips are open to fourth grade students in public, charter, private, and home school groups within the Tooele district . Group size is limited to 80 students per field trip. Please do not bring siblings or other children on the field trips.
Costs: FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake will cover the cost of admission to Great Salt Lake State Park for all field trip participants. We do not charge an instructional fee for public schools, so these trips are completely free. Private and homeschool groups are charged a flat instructional fee based on student totals ($50 per trip if bringing 30 students or less, or $100 per trip if bringing 31-75 students).
Transportation Grants: Thanks to our sponsor, Cargill Salt, we do have transportation grants available for qualifying schools.
Driving Details: From Tooele take I-80 East headed towards Salt Lake City. Take exit 104, take ramp right for UT-202 toward Saltair Drive. Turn left onto UT 202. Turn left onto Saltair Drive (Road name changes to W 1075 S).
Meeting Place: FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake staff will be at the brown “Great Salt Lake State Marina” sign, near the restrooms upon arrival.
Please complete the form below and note the following:
- We require one completed application form per field trip. Each teacher who will be bringing students on that field trip must sign the application form.
- For schools that have more than 80 fourth-grade students, we will need to arrange 2 field trip days. Please complete 2 forms in total (one form for each field trip day).
- We have a limited number of field trip slots available and will fill them in the order in which applications are received. Be sure to complete all 3 pages of this application form, including the required signatures. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Completed applications may be submitted electronically (to email@example.com) or via mail (to FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake, PO Box 2655, Salt Lake City, UT 84110). We will notify you when your completed application has been received.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
Primary Teacher Contact(*)
Home/Cell Phone Number(*)
Names of Other Teachers/Classes Attending The Same Field Trip
Approximate Number of Students Attending This Field Trip(*)
Do you have any students with special needs affecting their mobility or ability to see, hear, follow basic instructions, or otherwise participate safely in this outdoor field trip?(*)
To help FRIENDS understand our reach, please provide us with the following information:
Number of Male Students (optional)
Number of Female Students (Optional)
Number of Under-represented Minority Students (Optional)
Your Preferred Field Trip Dates (we will make every effort to accommodate your request):
Arrival Time (when your group will arrive at the Great Salt Lake State Park and Marinaon the day of your trip)(*)
Departure Plans: Our field trips typically last 2.5 hours. If you have any special scheduling needs (for instance, if you need a shorter trip), please explain them here:(*)
Transportation Grants (for public schools only – not applicable for private or homeschools). (Please note: Transportation grant funds are given after the field trip takes place)
Do you need help covering transportation costs for the field trip?(*)
SPECIAL REQUESTS OR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Is there anything else you would like us to know about your field trip needs? Or, do you have questions? If so, please include them here:
REQUIREMENTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The following items are the responsibility of the participating school and teachers.
Advance planning for the field trip:
- Submit a completed, signed application form to FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake.
- Work with FRIENDS to coordinate scheduling details.
- Make necessary bus transportation arrangements.
- Acquire parent/guardian permission documentation.
- Provide adequate teacher and parent chaperones to ensure there is at least one adult for every 10 children.
7 days before the field trip:
- Notify FRIENDS of your final head count (students and adults).
- Notify FRIENDS if you are canceling. (Schools that cancel with less than 15 days’ notice will be charged a $25 cancelation fee. There is no fee if the cancelation is weather-related.)
Day of the field trip:
- Ensure that students are prepared with proper clothing (we will be outside the entire time). Students need adequate footwear (we will be walking over uneven terrain, and students may also wish to bring water shoes for wading), a towel, water, snacks/lunch, and sun protection. The lake can be buggy in spring; we recommend students wear long sleeves and long pants.
- Students need to be split into 3 groups, which they will remain in all day.
- Name tags for students, teachers, and parent chaperones must be provided (The lake can also release a pungent odor. Teachers and Chaperones, be prepared to help us minimize the students reaction to the smell).
- Supply a school first aid kit.
- Notify FRIENDS if you are running late (or early) and will not be at Antelope Island State Park at the agreed-upon arrival time.
- Assume responsibility for your students’ behavior and for their treatment of FRIENDS’ equipment. If FRIENDS’ equipment is deliberately broken or is stolen by a member of your group, your school will be responsible for replacement costs.
Your signature below indicates your agreement to the requirements and responsibilities listed above.
Electronic Signature (your name)(*)
Thank you for your interest in a FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake Lakeside Learning field trip.
We will contact you as soon as possible regarding the status of your application. Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions or concerns.