We're hiring for our 2020 Environmental Education Assistant - AmeriCorps (Utah Conservation Corps)!
FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake is seeking a part-time Environmental Education Assistant to complete 450 hours of work (an average of 24 hours per week) over a 7-month period (March through October 2020). The Environmental Education Assistant will play a key facilitation role within our fourth grade Lakeside Learning Field Trip program, our two summer camps in June, outreach events, and other special events hosted by FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake.
Lakeside Learning Field Trips take place Monday through Friday, between 8am and 2pm during the months of March, April, May, June, August, September, and October at Antelope Island State Park and the Great Salt Lake State Park & Marina. The ideal candidate will be available during these hours with some flexibility.
Some additional work during evenings and weekends may be required, particularly for outreach and special events. The weekly time commitment will be variable. This position will average 24 hours per week during our Spring (March 30-June 5) and Fall (August 24-October 16) field trip seasons, up to 40 hours per week during summer camps (June 8-12 & June 22-26), and as little as 5 hours per week between peak seasons (July & August).
The Environmental Education Assistant will:
- Assist in the facilitation of our Lakeside Learning Field Trip program, including:
- Lead groups of up to 25 fourth grade students through a series of outdoor educational activities at Antelope Island State Park and Great Salt Lake State Park & Marina
- Adapt to outdoor conditions and follow protocol to ensure safety of students
- Utilize inquiry-based informal education techniques to encourage student participation and engagement
- Advance FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake’s mission by promoting environmental conservation and stewardship
- Reinforce Utah Science Core standards
- Prepare and maintain field trip gear
- Co-lead Great Salt Lake Summer Camp (two week-long day camps for 4th and 5th graders) *Candidate must be available the weeks of June 8-12 and June 22-26, from 8:30am-4:30pm.
- Candidate will be responsible for driving up to 5 campers to designated sites in vehicle provided by summer camp partners
- Candidate will help facilitate activities for groups ranging from 5-15 campers at a time
- Attend and engage the public at community outreach events including some weekends
- Attend and engage members (without soliciting donations) at the annual fall membership event (10am-10pm on 10/8/20)
- Attend and assist at other special events including the Doyle Stephens Scholarship Award (March 2020 – date TBD), Alfred Lambourne Arts Prize (September 4, 2020), and International Coastal Cleanup (September 12, 2020)
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree (or working towards a degree) in Environmental Science, Biology, Education, Communication, or related subject
- Enjoy working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Able to walk moderate distances (<2 miles) over uneven terrain and lift moderate loads (<40 pounds)
- Effective at communicating with a variety of audiences
- Basic knowledge of ecology and ability to quickly learn new concepts
- Valid driver’s license, car insurance, and access to an automobile for personal transportation to FRIENDS of Great Salt Lake office (150 South 600 East, Suite 5D, Salt Lake City, UT) and summer camp partner sites (Natural History Museum of Utah & University of Utah Youth Education Building)
- Access to computer and internet
- Experience working with children preferably in an outdoor and/or educational setting
- Knowledge of Great Salt Lake ecosystem and local conservation, education, and management groups
- Social media platform experience
AmeriCorps members receive the following benefits for this 450-hour position: $3,704 living stipend paid in even disbursements throughout the term of service (about $530 per month) and a $1,612.43 Education Award (given upon completion of service – this award can be used for future schooling or federal student loans)
How to Apply: Email a resume, cover letter, and at least one professional reference to Katie Newburn at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 20, 2020.
Please note: Any offer of employment will be conditional, pending the candidate’s successful enrollment in AmeriCorps/Utah Conservation Corps (UCC) and successful completion of a criminal background check. For more information about the UCC, visit www.usu.edu/ucc/